Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 mins
The classic Chinese dim sum. Serve with hot mustard and sweet and sour sauces. This is a great party appetizer.
- Rinse and pat dry shrimp with a paper towel.
- Flatten each shrimp with a cleaver and mince finely, along with bacon, or alternatively, pulse in food processor until it resembles a fine paste.
- Place mixture in a mixing bowl;add egg white, wine, salt, ginger, and cornstarch, mix well and set aside.
- Remove the crusts from the bread and cut into 4 squares, cutting diagonally.
- Place 1 rounded teaspoon of shrimp paste on each square of bread and press gently, making sure it adheres.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet or fryer to 350 degrees, then reduce heat to medium.
- Carefully place 4-5 shrimp toasts in hot fat, shrimp side down, with a slotted spoon; cook about 1 minute, then turn and cook other side for about 30 seconds more.
- Remove from fryer with slotted spoon and drain on pepper toweling.
- Repeat with remaining toasts.
- Serve hot, with sweet& sour sauce or hot mustard sauce, if desired.