1 hr 10 mins
southern chef in louisiana's Note:
This is soooooooo good! It is fork tender and great served with buttered rice or mashed potatoes. Add green beans or collard greens with some cornbread or rolls, and you have a real southern meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 lbs fryer, cut up
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- oil (for deep frying) or shortening (for deep frying)
- 1For Chicken: Wash the chicken and pat it dry.
- 2Heat the shorting or oil to 365°F for frying chicken.
- 3Salt and pepper the chicken.
- 4Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder together.
- 5After the oil is at the right tempura, roll the chicken in the flour and place in the skillet.
- 6Cook 3 to 4 pieces at a time until golden brown and almost done.
- 7Drain the chicken and place in a baking dish; set aside.
- 8Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 9Prepare gravy: On medium heat, heat the 4 tablespoons oil; stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 10Add the water and stir until boiling. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Gravy will be kind of thin, but will thicken as it cooks in the oven.
- 12Pour gravy over the chicken; turn the chicken to coat completely.
- 13Cover and cook for 30 to 45 minutes until smothered and fork-tender.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 587.6
- Calories from Fat 340
- Total Fat 37.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 141.8 mg
- Sodium 330.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 38.0 g