Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is soooooooo good! It is fork tender and great served with buttered rice or mashed potatoes. Add green beans or collard greens with some cornbread or rolls, and you have a real southern meal.
- For Chicken: Wash the chicken and pat it dry.
- Heat the shorting or oil to 365°F for frying chicken.
- Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder together.
- After the oil is at the right tempura, roll the chicken in the flour and place in the skillet.
- Cook 3 to 4 pieces at a time until golden brown and almost done.
- Drain the chicken and place in a baking dish; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare gravy: On medium heat, heat the 4 tablespoons oil; stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the water and stir until boiling. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Gravy will be kind of thin, but will thicken as it cooks in the oven.
- Pour gravy over the chicken; turn the chicken to coat completely.
- Cover and cook for 30 to 45 minutes until smothered and fork-tender.