This is the only way I've ever had catfish. I can't stand to eat it fried in restaurants, it tastes muddy to me, but I can eat it this way.
- Put oil in a skillet until it is halfway up or you can use a deep fryer, a deep fryer is actually best for these. Heat until hot or if using skillet use medium high heat.
- In a large bowl beat egg with a fork, add buttermilk to it. Beat again to incorporate.
- In another big bowl put cornmeal and seasonings to taste.
- Rinse nuggets and dip into milk mixture, depending on how many you have you could probably fit them all in at one time.
- Take a few out of the milk and dip in to the cornmeal, roll around to get it coated good, then put into oil.
- If using skillet put them in until skillet is full. fry 3 minutes, turn and fry another 2-3 minutes. If using a deep fryer fry 5 minutes, about halfway through stir them around to break up any that might have clumped together. They are done when golden brown and flake easily with a fork.