1/6 Photos of Southern Fried Chicken with Milk Gravy
1 hr 35 mins
This is truly one of our family's oldest and dearest recipes. Great for a Sunday dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 broiler-fryer chickens, cut up (3-3 1/2 lbs each)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1In a medium bowl beat milk and eggs.
- 2In another bowl, combine seasonings and flour.
- 3Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture and then in flour mixture.
- 4Melt shortening in 12" iron skillet.
- 5Brown chicken on both sides, cover and cook over low heat for 45 minutes or until juices run clear.
- 6Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm, reserving 1/4 cup drippings for gravy Gravy: Stir flour, salt and pepper into reserved drippings.
- 7Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned.
- 8Combine milk and water; add to skillet.
- 9Bring to a boil.
- 10Boil and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- 11Add browning sauce if desired.
- 12Serve gravy with chicken and garnish with oregano.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Fried Chicken with Milk Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1130.7
- Calories from Fat 756
- Total Fat 84.0 g
- Saturated Fat 23.3 g
- Cholesterol 306.9 mg
- Sodium 456.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 63.9 g