This is truly one of our family's oldest and dearest recipes. Great for a Sunday dinner.
Make and share this Southern Fried Chicken with Milk Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 broiler-fryer chickens, cut up (3-3 1/2 lbs each)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon browning sauce (optional)
- fresh oregano (optional)
- In a medium bowl beat milk and eggs.
- In another bowl, combine seasonings and flour.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture and then in flour mixture.
- Melt shortening in 12" iron skillet.
- Brown chicken on both sides, cover and cook over low heat for 45 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm, reserving 1/4 cup drippings for gravy Gravy: Stir flour, salt and pepper into reserved drippings.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Combine milk and water; add to skillet.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add browning sauce if desired.
- Serve gravy with chicken and garnish with oregano.