This is an easy food gift idea that I got from Food Network. I'm not a walnut person but those in my life that are love these! Thanks to Michael Chiarello of Food Network...this is his recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a deep saucepan, pour oil to a depth of at least 3 inches and heat to 350 degrees F.
- 2While the oil is heating, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 3Measure the salt, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and black pepper into a small bowl and mix well.
- 4Holding the nuts in a sieve, dip them briefly into the boiling water, about 1 minute for large halves.
- 5(Blanching removes some of the tannins and makes walnuts taste sweet).
- 6Transfer to a large bowl with a little water clinging to them.
- 7While the nuts are still hot and wet, add the sugar and toss well to evenly coat.
- 8The sugar will melt on contact with the hot nuts.
- 9Keep stirring and tossing until all the sugar has melted.
- 10If bits of unmelted sugar remain on the nuts, they will not fry properly.
- 11Stir the nuts again before frying.
- 12Using a large slotted spoon, transfer a few nuts to the hot oil, allowing the foam to subside before adding another spoonful.
- 13(Otherwise, the oil could foam over and burn you).
- 14Fry in small batches until the nuts are medium brown, about 1 minute.
- 15Be careful not to overcook.
- 16Scatter on an unlined baking sheet to cool slightly.
- 17While the nuts are still warm, transfer them to a bowl and sprinkle evenly with about half of the spice mix.
- 18Toss well to distribute the spices and then taste a nut.
- 19Add more spice mix, to taste, and toss well after each addition.
- 20When cool, pack in an airtight jar.
- 21They will keep at room temperature for at least 2 weeks.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Candied Walnuts
Serving Size: 1 (625 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 883.6
- Calories from Fat 687
- Total Fat 76.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 584.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 32.4 g
- Protein 17.8 g