Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
These are very tender and spicy!
Make and share this Spicy Deep-fried Baby Artichokes recipe from Food.com.
- 24 baby artichokes
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- oil (for frying)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup asian chili-garlic sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- panko breadcrumbs (Japanese-style breading)
- Rinse artichokes under cold, running water. Combine the 2 quarts of water with the lemon juice. Use this water to drop the artichokes in as you trim them. Cut off stems and top 1/3 of artichoke petals. With your thumb, bend artichoke petals back, about 3 to 4 petals at a time, until they snap off. Make a quarter turn and continue to snap, working around until pale yellow leaves remain.
- Cut in quarters.
- Fill deep fryer to line with oil, or pour at least 3 inches of oil into deep 3-quart saucepan. Begin heating to 375 degrees.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs, chili garlic sauce, onion powder, cayenne and salt. Pour Panko crumbs into pie plate or small shallow pan. Drain artichokes well, then dip each baby artichoke quarter in egg/garlic sauce mixture, then roll in Panko crumbs. When oil is hot, carefully drop coated baby artichoke quarters in, a few at a time, and fry until well-browned, about 2 minutes.
- Lift out and drain on paper towels. Serve hot.
These were so spicy and delicious! My son and I are the only ones in the family that like spicy foods and we gobbled these down in no time. I couldn't find any panko, so I had to use plain breadcrumbs. Thanks for sharing the recipe!