1/1 Photo of Spinach Pakora (fritters)
kusum gupta's Note:
Fritters or pakoras are considered the most readily available snack any time of the day. It is a treat especially in cold rainy weather when the aroma of fried dough and vegetables is very comforting. These can be made in advance and frozen. Warm in a 350 degreeF oven before serving. Makes 40-45 pieces. This is from Kusum's book 'Recipes with a Spice - Indian cuisine for balanced nutrition'.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 10 ounces chopped spinach
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 potatoes, chopped or grated
- oil (for frying, about 2-inch deep in a wok)
- 1Sift the gram flour.
- 2Mix all the ingredients (except oil), to make a smooth and thick (almost like dough) batter.
- 3Cover and let it stand for ½ hour.
- 4Sprinkle little water if needed.
- 5(If using frozen spinach, thaw before using.) Blend in all the seasonings (except salt) and mix well.
- 6(You may chill the batter in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or more until it can be handled.) Mix in salt when ready to cook.
- 7Heat the oil in a deep skillet or wok on medium to high heat.
- 8For each pakora, scoop a heaped teaspoon of the batter, and with a second spoon, scrape the mixture into the hot oil.
- 9Put the'pakoras' in a single layer in the skillet.
- 10Fry, turning them with a slotted flat spatula, until all sides become golden brown.
- 11(Regulate the heat as needed while the'pakoras' are being fried.) Remove and drain on paper towels or brown paper bag lined with plastic.
- 12Fry all the'pakoras' this way.
- 13Serve hot with any chutney.
- 14Variation: Add 1 cup corn kernels to the mixture for extra crispness.
- 15May also add ½ teaspoon baking soda to ensure softness.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Pakora (fritters)
Serving Size: 1 (1319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 46.2
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 70.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: