Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Just the sauce alone from this recipe is so good! These are so easy to make no pre-cooking just mix, fill the wrapppers then roll and fry and no cooking the sauce either! This recipe should make about 14-15 spring rolls, I strongly suggest to double the recipe, these are very good! To save time prepare the filling up to a day in advance and refrigerate.
- 1 (7 ounce) bottlehot chile sauce with garlic
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili paste
- 3⁄4 lb fresh shrimp (peeled, deveined and finely chopped)
- 1 large egg, lighty beaten
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (optional add in only if you like spicy)
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, well drained and minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, well drained and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (can use a little more)
- 2 large green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (12 ounce) package spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for brushing
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- For the sweet chili sauce; in a glass bowl mix all ingredients until well blended and chill until ready to use.
- For the spring rolls;In a bowl stir together the chopped shrimp, 1 egg, ground pork, chestnuts, bamboo shoots, garlic, onions, ginger and soy sauce; mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Place about 1 semi-heaping tablespoon down the center of each spring roll wrappper.
- Fold the top corner of the wrapper over the filling (tucking the tip of the corner under the filling).
- Fold the left and right corners over filling.
- Lightly brush the remaining corner with the remaining egg.
- Tightly roll the filled end toward remaining corner then press gently to seal.
- Repeat using all the mixture and spring roll wrappers.
- In a medium heavy saucepan, pour about 2-inches of oil inches.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Carefully drop a few spring rolls in at a time and fry until golden (about 6 minutes) turning to brown and cook on all sides (don't fry more than 5-6 spring rolls at a time).
- Place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve with prepared chilled sweet chili sauce.