1/2 Photos of St. Louis Style Toasted Ravioli
Authentic St. Louis Style toasted ravioli that you can find on the menu of any resturaunt in St. Louis. When I moved to Las Vegas, Nevada, I was suprised to find out that no one had even HEARD of these tasty treats that I had so often taken for granted when I lived in St. Louis. What is an out-of-towner, or in my case a relocated St. Louis Native, to do? Follow this recipe of course! Memories of Imo's or Cecil Whittakers pizza will surely ensue...ENJOY!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer or skillet to 350 degrees for deep frying. It is ready when a tiny splash of water makes the oil sizzle. (CAREFUL WITH THIS METHOD, IT SOMETIMES MAKES THE OIL POP. DON’T LEAN OVER THE FRYER, AND USE AN OVEN MIT(S) TO PROTECT YOUR HANDS AND ARMS!)
- 3Mix water with eggs and beat well, set aside. Pour Italian bread crumbs and garlic salt(optional) in a bowl, set aside. Pour flour in a separate bowl, set aside. I have found that lining the ingredients up in this order makes things more efficient and less messy; Flour, egg mix, and bread crumbs.
- 4Roll out a 13-15in section of aluminum foil. This is where the breaded ravioli can set until you are ready to fry them.
- 5Roll out a 13-15in section of paper towels, 3-4 layers thick. If you have one, place a cooling rack on top of the paper towels. This is where the fried ravioli will drain.
- 7Dip ravioli in flour, then in the egg mixture, and then roll ravioli in the bread crumbs. Ravioli should be completely and thickly covered in bread crumbs. If you are having a hard time making the bread crumbs stay on thick, re-dip in egg mix and roll in bread crumbs again. Set breaded ravioli on the aluminum foil until you are ready to fry them.
- 8Depending on the size of your fryer, place 2-5 raviolis in the fryer at a time. USE A METAL SPOON TO TRANSPORT RAVIOLIS TO THE FRYER, AND USE AN OVEN MIT ON THE HAND YOU ARE HOLDING THE SPOON. NEVER USE YOUR BARE HANDS! Stir occasionally to make sure raviolis aren’t sticking together. It should take about 1 minute to cook, or until the raviolis are crispy and golden brown. Remove from the fryer and spread out on the paper towels/draining rack.
- 9Serve HOT with you favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce!
- 10Note* - After they are fried, Raviolis can be frozen until you are ready to eat them. To heat frozen Raviolis, heat oven to 375 degrees and cook 10-15 minutes, or until sizzling hot. Monitor carefully, you don’t want them to burn!
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for St. Louis Style Toasted Ravioli
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.0
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 93.6 mg
- Sodium 1092.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 18.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: