Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
After reading several other corn dog recipes on here I couldn't find one that was really what I was looking for and took what I had around the house. I went into experiment mode and this is what I came up with. They are very similar in taste to the state fair corn dogs that come in the box. I used ballpark all beef franks. My toddlers DEVOURED. I kept the recipe small, since it was an experiment.
- Heat oil to 375F.
- Get out 4 thawed hot dogs and lay on paper towels to dry.
- Combine all dry ingredients and blend well.
- Stir in Milk.
- Add just enough water so that it sticks well to the spoon without running off.
- Finish patting dry the hot dogs
- I cut my hot dogs into thirds and make bite size corn dogs.
- Take a paper sucker stick, put it into one side of the hot dog, dip it into the bowl of batter and spoon batter over to evenly coat.
- Put it into the deep fryer, using another stick to push it off of the other
- I suggest holding it up a little bit with the stick if you are using a deep fryer with a basket, this will allow the bottom to begin cooking before it gets caught in the basket.
- Fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Let cool on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Prep time does not include the amount of time it takes individual deep fryers to heat up.
These were really good! We choose this recipe because we are allergic to eggs and needed to find an alternate to the ones sold in the stores. My kids were so excited to have corn dogs again. Next time I make them I think I'll add a little bit more sugar, we like out dogs with batter that's a bit sweeter. Thanks so much for the great recipe though!