1 hr 30 mins
Paul Prudhomme's famous recipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (6 lb) stewing chicken, cut up
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 1/2 cups rich chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- hot rice or boiled potato
- 1Combine seasoning mix ingredients.
- 2Genereously sprinkle both sides of the chicken pieces with about 4 t of the seasoning mix.
- 3Combine remaining seasoning mix with the flour in a paper or plastic bag.
- 4Generously dust each chicken piece with the seasoned flour.
- 5Reservce leftover flour to make the roux.
- 6In large skillet, heat 1 inch of oil to 230-250.
- 7Cook chicken pieces in the hot oil, maintaining the oil's temp to a level just hot enough for the chicken to boil instead of fry.
- 8Cook pieces of similar size together to ensure even cooking.
- 9Boil with skin side down about 20 min, then on the other side until tender, about 15 min more.
- 10Drain on paper towels.
- 11Remove skillet from heat and let cool 15 min.
- 12Pour the oil into a large glass bowl, leaving the sediment in the pan.
- 13Pour 1/2 C of the cooled oil back into the skillet and heat over high heat.
- 14Slowly whisk in 3/4 C of the reserved seasoned flour with a long-handled metal whisk; cook until the roux is smooth and medium colored, about 2 to 3 min, whisking constantly (don't let scorch.) Immediately stir in the onions and celery and continue cooking untiil onions are wilted, about 5 min, stirring constantly.
- 15Remove from heat.
- 16In a 4-qt saucepan, bring the stock to a boil.
- 17Add the roux mixture by spoonfuls to the boiling stock, blending well between each addition.
- 18Then add the boiled chicken pieces and the seqasonings.
- 19Simmer uncovered over how heat for 1 hour (or longer if the chicken needs further tenderizing), stirring often.
- 20Serve immediately over rice or potatoes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sticky Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (857 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 898.5
- Calories from Fat 514
- Total Fat 57.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 192.4 mg
- Sodium 1825.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 57.2 g