Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
From Perfect Tapas. Who would believe these deep fried eggs are stuffed with... I have to admit they are good and I'm not a big fan of...
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, cooked and shelled
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) can sardines in oil, drained (yep, that's the one)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- salt & pepper
- fresh parsley sprig, to garnish
- Cut the eggs in half lengthwise, scoop out the yolks, and push the yolks through a fine strainer in a small bowl.
- Mash the sardines with a fork and add to the egg yolks. Stir in the lemon juice, Tabasco, and mayonnaise. Season with S&P.
- Spoon the filling into the egg white halves, mounding it up well. Dip each egg half into the flour, then into the egg, then into the bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil to 350° and deep-fry the egg halves for 2 minutes. (I could do four at a time) until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve hot, garnished with parsley sprigs.