Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
You will have much more breading mixture than you need. Place excess in a Ziploc bag, and save for next time.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons celery salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, lightly crushed,more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, lightly crushed,more to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon salt, to taste (optional)
- 3 1⁄2-4 1⁄2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up or 4 chicken breast halves, fat discarded,washed,and dried
- pure olive oil (preferred) or peanut oil or canola oil, for pan frying
- Combine all ingredients except chicken and oil.
- Taste the seasoned flour, and adjust salt and other seasonings as necessary (My wife thinks this is gross!) The breading should be fairly spice, since this will tone down as the chicken cooks.
- Place about 1 cup of flour mixture in a paper or plastic bag.
- Shake a few pieces of chicken at a time in the mixture, coating well.
- Allow chicken to set for a few minutes, and then coat again with seasoned flour.
- Heat about 1/4" of oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Lightly brown chicken on all sides, reduce heat to medium, and continue frying, turning regularly, until chicken is cooked through.
- Drain well on paper towels, and serve hot, or refrigerate for cold fried chicken-- yum!
- This recipe makes enough coating for three chickens or batches of chicken breasts.
- Store unused mixture in a sealed plastic bag in refrigerator or freezer.
Toby, this chicken was wonderful,easy to make, juicy and I am glad that there is so much breading mixture left over. My Husband loved it... and took it cold for lunch today and it was the best cold chicken he had ever had, nice and crispy! Thanks for posting this one... Linda