Toby Jermain's Note:
You will have much more breading mixture than you need. Place excess in a Ziploc bag, and save for next time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons celery salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, lightly crushed,more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, lightly crushed,more to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon salt, to taste (optional)
- 3 1/2-4 1/2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up or 4 chicken breast halves, fat discarded,washed,and dried
- pure olive oil (preferred) or peanut oil or canola oil, for pan frying
- 1Combine all ingredients except chicken and oil.
- 2Taste the seasoned flour, and adjust salt and other seasonings as necessary (My wife thinks this is gross!) The breading should be fairly spice, since this will tone down as the chicken cooks.
- 3Place about 1 cup of flour mixture in a paper or plastic bag.
- 4Shake a few pieces of chicken at a time in the mixture, coating well.
- 5Allow chicken to set for a few minutes, and then coat again with seasoned flour.
- 6Heat about 1/4" of oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- 7Lightly brown chicken on all sides, reduce heat to medium, and continue frying, turning regularly, until chicken is cooked through.
- 8Drain well on paper towels, and serve hot, or refrigerate for cold fried chicken-- yum!
- 9This recipe makes enough coating for three chickens or batches of chicken breasts.
- 10Store unused mixture in a sealed plastic bag in refrigerator or freezer.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunday Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1260.7
- Calories from Fat 583
- Total Fat 64.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 297.9 mg
- Sodium 294.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 86.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Lawry's Seasoned Salt