Mommy Diva's Note:
This is the basic recipe for making fast,tasty donuts. Spice them up, or flavor them any way you like. Look for three fun ways I have listed below - Strawberry-Frosted Donuts, Simple Jelly Donuts,and Boston Cream Donuts which all use this basic recipe to start! Found in FIRST magazine. Delish!!!! **Prep/cooking time does not include 2 hours rise time. DON'T let the number of steps scare you - three different types are listed here for convenience! Just find the one you want to make - quick and easy!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb frozen white bread dough, thawed (1loaf)
- canola oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can strawberry frosting
- colored sprinkles
SIMPLE JELLY DONUTS
- 1 cup seedless raspberry preserves (lemon curd, or other favorite preserves)
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
BOSTON CREAM DONUTS
- 3 (4 ounce) prepared vanilla pudding (snack-size like Jell-O and Swiss Miss Brand)
- 1 (16 ounce) can chocolate frosting (your favorite type)
- 1BASIC DONUTS:.
- 2Line jellyroll pan with foil; coat with cooking spray.
- 3On lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 14" x 6" rectangle.
- 4Using 2 3/4" round biscuit cutter, cut out 12 donuts.
- 5Arrange on foil, 2" apart; cover lightly with damp paper towels.
- 6Let rise in warmplace untildoubled in size, about 2 hours.
- 7In a large pot, heat 2" of oil over medium heat until 300*F on deep-frying thermometer.
- 8Add donuts in batches and cook, turning once, until golden and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- 9Drain on rack.(Cool before filling).
- 10*STRAWBERRY-FROSTED DONUTS:.
- 11Prepare Basic Donuts recipe,using 3"round donut cutter in place of biscuit cutter; cook as directed.
- 12If desired, for donut holes, cook center cut outs for 5 minutes.
- 13Place strawberry frosting in microwave safe bowl and cook on HIGH for about 30 seconds to soften.
- 14Spoon some frosting over each donut; decorate with sprinkles and let stand for 15 minutes to set.
- 15*SIMPLE JELLY DONUTS:.
- 16Prepare and cook Basic Donuts as directed.
- 17Once cool, make a 1.5" deep cut into the side of each donut with a paring knife.
- 18Place 1 cup of preserves into a plastic food storage bag; cut 1/4" off 1 corner.
- 19Insert corner of bag into cut in each donut; squeeze 11/2 tbsp preserves into each.
- 20In a bowl, mix superfine sugar and confectioners' sugar.
- 21Adding 2 donuts at a time, toss to coat.
- 22*BOSTON CREAM DONUTS:.
- 23Prepare and cook Basic Donuts as directed.
- 24With a paring knife, make a 1.5" deep cut into the side of each donut.
- 25Place 3packages (4oz each snack-size) vanilla pudding into alarge plastic food storage bag; cut 1/4" off one corner.
- 26Insert the corner of the bag in each donut; squeeze about 2 tbsp pudding into each.
- 27Place chocolate frosting in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH to soften, about 30 seconds.
- 28Spoon some frosting over each donut; let stand about 15 minutes to set.
- 29ENJOY! :).
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Easy Donuts - Basic Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (1180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 277.8
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 3.1 mg
- Sodium 158.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 45.3 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen white bread dough