1/3 Photos of Sweet and Sour Fish
1 hr 10 mins
Chef floWer's Note:
I really enjoy eating this dish but it just takes so long to make it. The only things I change is I left out the egg and used milk to dip the fish and I used vegetable oil as I couldn’t find groundnut oil. I also use can pineapple so I can use the juice. This recipe comes from a book called 'The Asian Kitchen' (The best of Chinese and Far Eastern cooking) by Lilian Wu
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g fish fillets, skinned, boned and cubed (Must be white and at least 2 cms (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 -3 tablespoons cornflour
- peanut oil, for deep frying (Groundnut oil)
For the Sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons chinese rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 2 teaspoons chinese rice wine or 2 teaspoons medium-dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil (Groundnut oil)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 6 spring onions, sliced diagonally into 5 cms lenghts
- 1 green capsicum, seeded and cut into 2 cms in pieces
- 115 g fresh pineapple, cut into 2 cms in pieces
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1Put the fish in a bowl. Sprinkle over the five-spice powder and soy sauce, then toss gently.
- 2Cover and leave to marinate for about 30 minutes.
- 3Dip the fish in the egg, then in the cornflour, shaking off any excess.
- 4Half-fill a wok with oil and heat to 190oc. Deep fry the fish in batches for about 2 minutes until golden.
- 5Drain and keep warm. Carefully pour off all the oil from the wok and wipe clean.
- 6To make the sauce, blend together in a bowl the cornflour, water, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, ketchup and rice wine or sherry. Miz well then set aside.
- 7Heat the wok until hot. Add 2 teaspoons of the oil and swirl it around. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add the spring onions and green capsicum and stir-fry over a medium heat for 2 minutes. Add pineapple.
- 8Pour in the sauce and cook, stirring until thickened. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add seasoning to taste.
- 9Pour the sauce over the fish and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Fish
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.0
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 108.3 mg
- Sodium 447.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 29.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder