1/3 Photos of Sweet and Sour Fish
1 hr 10 mins
Chef floWer's Note:
I really enjoy eating this dish but it just takes so long to make it. The only things I change is I left out the egg and used milk to dip the fish and I used vegetable oil as I couldn’t find groundnut oil. I also use can pineapple so I can use the juice. This recipe comes from a book called 'The Asian Kitchen' (The best of Chinese and Far Eastern cooking) by Lilian Wu
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g fish fillets, skinned, boned and cubed (Must be white and at least 2 cms (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 -3 tablespoons cornflour
- peanut oil, for deep frying (Groundnut oil)
For the Sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons chinese rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 2 teaspoons chinese rice wine or 2 teaspoons medium-dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil (Groundnut oil)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 6 spring onions, sliced diagonally into 5 cms lenghts
- 1 green capsicum, seeded and cut into 2 cms in pieces
- 115 g fresh pineapple, cut into 2 cms in pieces
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1Put the fish in a bowl. Sprinkle over the five-spice powder and soy sauce, then toss gently.
- 2Cover and leave to marinate for about 30 minutes.
- 3Dip the fish in the egg, then in the cornflour, shaking off any excess.
- 4Half-fill a wok with oil and heat to 190oc. Deep fry the fish in batches for about 2 minutes until golden.
- 5Drain and keep warm. Carefully pour off all the oil from the wok and wipe clean.
- 6To make the sauce, blend together in a bowl the cornflour, water, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, ketchup and rice wine or sherry. Miz well then set aside.
- 7Heat the wok until hot. Add 2 teaspoons of the oil and swirl it around. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add the spring onions and green capsicum and stir-fry over a medium heat for 2 minutes. Add pineapple.
- 8Pour in the sauce and cook, stirring until thickened. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add seasoning to taste.
- 9Pour the sauce over the fish and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Fish
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.0
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 108.3 mg
- Sodium 447.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 29.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder