Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I got the original recipe from Allrecipes.com. After and little of this and that was added I had a sweet and sour that made the whole family happy. It is oh so good.
- 1 lb pork loin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb boneless chicken, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, remove shell
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 egg whites
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 48 ounces vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 bunches celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 medium green bell peppers, cut into1 inch pieces
- 3 onions, cut into wedges
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 3 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Place cubed pork, cubed chicken and shrimp in a large bowl, and season with salt, sugar, and soy sauce. Mix in the egg white and green onions. Cover, and place in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil to 365°F (185°C) in a large, heavy saucepan or deep fryer.
- Coat the pork with cornstarch, and fry in the heated oil about 10 minutes, until evenly browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Stir in the celery, green bell pepper, and onion, and cook until tender. Season with salt and sugar. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, water, salt, sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, and stir in the cooked pork mixture, celery mixture, and the pineapple chunks with juice. Return to boil, and mix in cornstarch and water to thicken. Cook until well blended.
This was better than I could have imagined!! My hubby and 5 kids LOVED IT! I didn't use pineapple though. Not a huge fan of it. I did, however, add some crushed red pepper flakes and some brown sugar to the sauce. I used 2 lb. of pork tenderloin, and 2 lb. of chicken and 14 oz. of shrimp. There was more than enough sauce. I will definitely make this again. It's like takeout but soo much fresher and we didn't have to go out to get it!! Thanks Michelle!