Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I ran across this recipe in Country Woman magazine. Although I haven't made it yet, it sounds delicious and simple to make.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until nice and smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add flour and continue to mix well.
- Stir in potatoes, swiss cheese, onion, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- In a large skillet heat butter and oil over a medium heat.
- Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls and press lightly to flatten.
- Fry until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes on each side.
These are the BEST potato cakes I've EVER had!! I made them last night for supper and I'm still thinking about them today -- my family oohed and aahed!! For the potatoes I used "Simply Potatoes" shredded hashbrowns (in the refrigerated section at grocery store)--no need to drain them, they're ready to go. Also, I used 1/3 cup for each "cake". Had to do them in batches, even in my largest skillet, and I did need to add a little more oil & butter with the second batch. Oh--and only turn them once so they don't fall apart. The recipe is accurate...use medium heat and guage about 5 minutes per side. So thank you, Jeanette, for this wonderful recipe. I'm keeping it forever!