Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This chicken has a unique taco flavor with a crisp, golden cornmeal battered crust. Yummy.
Make and share this Taco Battered Fried Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs fryer, cutup
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1⁄4 ounces taco seasoning mix
- 1 beaten egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- also shortening (for deep frying) or cooking oil, enough (for deep frying)
- Rinse the chicken. In large saucepan in slightly salted water, bring the chicken to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (this is done so the cornmeal in the batter will not burn). Drain, and pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels.
- For the batter: Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Add the egg, milk and 2 tablespoons of oil, mixing well until smooth.
- Meanwhile, bring oil to 365°F.
- Dip the chicken pieces, one at a time, gently shaking off the excess batter.
- Fry the pieces 2 to 3 pieces at a time for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden, turning only once.
- Carefully remove and drain well.
- Keep warm while frying the remaining chicken pieces.
This was some really tasty chicken. It stayed moist and juicy. The crust was very good. The method of boiling the chicken first is key to any good fried chicken. We enjoyed this recipe and I will definately make it again. Thanks for the recipe!