southern chef in louisiana's Note:
This chicken has a unique taco flavor with a crisp, golden cornmeal battered crust. Yummy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 lbs fryer, cutup
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/4 ounces taco seasoning mix
- 1 beaten egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- also shortening (for deep frying) or cooking oil, enough (for deep frying)
- 1Rinse the chicken. In large saucepan in slightly salted water, bring the chicken to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (this is done so the cornmeal in the batter will not burn). Drain, and pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels.
- 2For the batter: Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Add the egg, milk and 2 tablespoons of oil, mixing well until smooth.
- 3Meanwhile, bring oil to 365°F.
- 4Dip the chicken pieces, one at a time, gently shaking off the excess batter.
- 5Fry the pieces 2 to 3 pieces at a time for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden, turning only once.
- 6Carefully remove and drain well.
- 7Keep warm while frying the remaining chicken pieces.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taco Battered Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 563.4
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 176.6 mg
- Sodium 667.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 39.1 g