Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
These need to be marinated for a minimum of 2 hours but I've had them in the marinade for as long as 10 hours. I fix them in the morning and fry them when I get home from work. Prep time doesn't include marinating time.
- 1 lb raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- flour, for dusting
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 dried red chilies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh galangal or 2 tablespoons ginger
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, stalks
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons water
- Process all the marinade ingredients together in a blender or food processor. Place the shrimp in a zip-loc bag, or in a bowl, and pour the marinade over and mix well. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Drain the marinade from the shrimp, scraping off any bits, and discard the marinade. Dust the shrimp with flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat and add the oil. When it is very hot and slightly smoking, add a handful of shrimp and deep-fry for 3 minutes, until golden and crisp. If the oil gets too hot, reduce the heat slightly. Drain the shrimp well on paper towels and fry the remaining shrimp in batches. Serve immediately.