Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found this in a Aussie food magazine. Intend to try this soon. Serves 4 as main course or 6 as appetizers. Batter will work well for other tempura items as well e.g. zucchini, carrot etc.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (125g)
- 2 green onions, ends trimmed,finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (pref fresh)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons wasabi paste, to taste
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 cup chilled soda water (seltzer)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour (75g)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch (70g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- white pepper
- 1 kg tiger shrimp or 1 kg other large shrimp, peeled with shells intact and deveined (2 lbs)
- Combine mayo, onions, lime juice and wasabi paste together in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan/wok (about 2" deep) to 375°F or 190°C over high heat.
- Combine soda water and egg yolk in a large bowl, then add the flours and baking soda.
- Season with salt and pepper, whisk mixture until just combined but still lumpy (do not overmix).
- Dip 6 prawns, 1 at a time, into batter to evenly coat.
- Deep fry for 2 mins or until they curl and turn golden; remove from oil and drain on absorbent papers or metal oil strainer.
- Repeat with remaining prawns, reheating and topping up the oil between batches, if necessary.
- Serve with wasabi mayonnaise.