Found this in a Aussie food magazine. Intend to try this soon. Serves 4 as main course or 6 as appetizers. Batter will work well for other tempura items as well e.g. zucchini, carrot etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (125g)
- 2 green onions, ends trimmed,finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (pref fresh)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons wasabi paste, to taste
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 cup chilled soda water (seltzer)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (75g)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (70g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- white pepper
- 1 kg tiger shrimp or 1 kg other large shrimp, peeled with shells intact and deveined (2 lbs)
- 1Combine mayo, onions, lime juice and wasabi paste together in a small bowl; set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a heavy saucepan/wok (about 2" deep) to 375°F or 190°C over high heat.
- 3Combine soda water and egg yolk in a large bowl, then add the flours and baking soda.
- 4Season with salt and pepper, whisk mixture until just combined but still lumpy (do not overmix).
- 5Dip 6 prawns, 1 at a time, into batter to evenly coat.
- 6Deep fry for 2 mins or until they curl and turn golden; remove from oil and drain on absorbent papers or metal oil strainer.
- 7Repeat with remaining prawns, reheating and topping up the oil between batches, if necessary.
- 8Serve with wasabi mayonnaise.
Browse Our Top Japanese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Japanese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tempura Shrimps (Prawns) With Wasabi Mayonnaise
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.7
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 434.8 mg
- Sodium 910.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 53.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: