1/1 Photo of Tempura Vegetables (Also Fish, Shrimp or Calamari Rings)
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
My daughter has been asking me to make tempura so I've been on the lookout for recipes. This recipe was found in the LCBO's Food & Drink Spring 2009 magazine. For the best results, make sure you don't over mix the batter. The beer and rice flour produce a delicate, crispy batter. ***You can replace some of the veggies with fish, peeled shrimp or calamari rings if desired.*** I've listed those ingredients as optional. You can also experiment with other veggies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup light beer
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small sweet potato
- vegetable oil or peanut oil, for frying
- 8 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 16 sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 small red pepper, cut into 1/4 inch rings
- 8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (optional)
- 8 squid rings (optional)
- 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
- 1 fish fillet, cut into bite sized pieces (optional)
- soy sauce (for dipping)
- 1 white radish, peeled grated (daikon)
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 1In a medium sized bowl, whisk the beer into the flour until just combined (will be a bit lumpy).
- 2Stir in salt and cayenne.
- 3Peel sweet potato and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices.
- 4Using a large heavy saucepan, deep fryer or wok, heat 2 inches of oil over medium-high heat to 350°F.
- 5In batches of 3 or 4 pieces, dredge veggies in batter to coat completely, letting excess drip off.
- 6Fry, turning, until golden coloured (2 to 3 minutes).
- 7With a slotted spoon, remove cooked vegetables from pan and transfer to paper towel lined, rimmed baking sheet to drain off excess oil.
- 8Season with a pinch of sea salt if desired.
- 9Keep warm in oven set to 200F while frying remaining veggies.
- 10Each diner should have a little bowl of soy sauce, a tiny dish of grated white radish (daikon) and a few lemon wedges to season his/her food.
- 11Serve with hot rice.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tempura Vegetables (Also Fish, Shrimp or Calamari Rings)
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.3
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 317.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sugar snap peas