Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
There are a million different ways to make this, but I found this recipe to be simple, quick, and I always have the ingredients on hand. The steak is tender and flavorful, and the gravy is downright addicting!
- 6 (6 ounce) cube steaks
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 quart vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt (We use Lawry's)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 tablespoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3 cups milk
- Mix the egg and water for an egg wash.
- Add the seasonings to the flour and mix well.
- Reserve 3 or 4 Tablespoons of the seasoned flour to use in the gravy.
- Dip each steak into the seasoned flour, then dip into the egg wash, thent back into the seasoned flour, coating each steak well.
- Heat the vegetable oil to about 350 degrees F in a large skillet. Oil should be deep enough to cover the steaks.
- Fry the coated steaks until golden brown, then drain them on paper towels and put on a heated platter that is tented with foil.
- When all steaks are cooked, pour off all but 2 tbls of the oil and the drippings.
- Add 3-4 Tbls of the reserved seasoned flour.
- Mix well and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the oil and flour are golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and add the milk and chicken bouillon.
- Return to the heat and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable, with the gravy spooned over the steaks.
I was looking for a recipe to use up some tough round steak,and also a recipe for my SO's B-Day dinner. So, when I came across this recipe I figured it would work for both of my " needs ". And I have to say it did :). Since there was just the two of us,this is how the recipe was made: I used two 4 ounce pieces of round steak which were pounded thin. Then 1 egg was beaten with about 1/4 cup of milk.The flour and seasonings were adjusted as follows: 1 cup of flour,1/2 tablespoon seasoned salt,2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder,and1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder. For the celery salt, 1/2 teaspoon of ground celery powder was used. And instead of adding the chicken bouillon cube, I used a teaspoon of chicken bouillon powder. Speaking of the bouillon, I read the recipe wrong and added it to the flour and the rest of the seasonings. But it was an unexpected surprise, it really gave the coating a really great flavor, so I think that I'll read it " wrong " again. :). I served this with mashed potatoes & green beans. Thank you for posting a recipe that will be made again. " Keep Smiling :) "
Was very good just had a different taste than what I am used to. Also, the cube steak is VERY hard to work with...you dip it and it falls right apart. Will try again tho just to make sure it wasn't error on my part.
Very good recipe however next time I will use less seasoned salt. It was really salty!! I also made 8 steaks instead of 6. Thanks for the recipe!