Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
If you're familiar with Indian or Middle Eastern food, then you've probably heard of "samosas" (a.k.a. samboosas, empanadas, sambuseks, etc.). They're little fried triangles of dough filled with various things (cheese, potatoes, meats and vegetables). This is my take on them. They're great for potlucks and parties (although wrapping them does take some time). I made these for my friend's children's birthday party last year (vegetarian style since she doesn't eat meat) and everyone loved them and wanted the recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef (or you can use Boca burgers to make this vegetarian)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup picante sauce (or salsa)
- 1⁄2 cup crushed potato chips
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 clove minced)
- 1 (500 g) package empanada wrappers (or samosa or won ton, about 50 sheets or wrappers)
- 1 egg, beaten
- oil (for frying)
- Cook ground beef.
- Add onion and peppers and cook awhile longer. Stir in picante sauce, potato chips, taco seasoning, cheese and garlic. Cook until heated through.
- Let mixture cool slightly.
- Using one sheet of the wrappers at a time, make a pocket (you will wrap these like you used to fold the American flag when you were a Girl Scout) and spoon in some filling (about a teaspoon). Begin folding in triangles along the length of the wrapper. Before the final fold, brush the egg on the last flap to help seal things.
- Heat oil and fry sambosas until lightly brown.
- (If you have a deep fryer, you can fry these up faster and easier.)
- Serve hot.
- (This recipe makes a LOT of filling.).
My whole family absolutely loves this meal, and that in itself is a miracle. I add some fresh diced tomatoes from our garden if we have them. I also add an extra slice of cheese in each pocket for my cheese-lovers. Some of my clan likes to add sour cream at the table. It has been a hit every time I have made it!