1 hr 30 mins
Jakey Bakey's Note:
If you're familiar with Indian or Middle Eastern food, then you've probably heard of "samosas" (a.k.a. samboosas, empanadas, sambuseks, etc.). They're little fried triangles of dough filled with various things (cheese, potatoes, meats and vegetables). This is my take on them. They're great for potlucks and parties (although wrapping them does take some time). I made these for my friend's children's birthday party last year (vegetarian style since she doesn't eat meat) and everyone loved them and wanted the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef (or you can use Boca burgers to make this vegetarian)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup picante sauce (or salsa)
- 1/2 cup crushed potato chips
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 clove minced)
- 1 (500 g) package empanada wrappers (or samosa or won ton, about 50 sheets or wrappers)
- 1 egg, beaten
- oil (for frying)
- 1Cook ground beef.
- 2Add onion and peppers and cook awhile longer. Stir in picante sauce, potato chips, taco seasoning, cheese and garlic. Cook until heated through.
- 3Let mixture cool slightly.
- 4Using one sheet of the wrappers at a time, make a pocket (you will wrap these like you used to fold the American flag when you were a Girl Scout) and spoon in some filling (about a teaspoon). Begin folding in triangles along the length of the wrapper. Before the final fold, brush the egg on the last flap to help seal things.
- 5Heat oil and fry sambosas until lightly brown.
- 6(If you have a deep fryer, you can fry these up faster and easier.)
- 7Serve hot.
- 8(This recipe makes a LOT of filling.).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tex Mex Samosas
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.4
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 106.4 mg
- Sodium 244.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 20.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: