1/1 Photo of Texas Armadillo Balls
1 hr 15 mins
T exas C ooker (TC)'s Note:
This is a spicy great fried treat which will bring your mouth to the Heart of Texas. Combine your Grandmothers Thanksgiving Dressing with Texas Spices and then deep fry them to create a spicy ball with a dry crust exterior and a warm moist interior.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups cornbread (2 Yellow cornbread Mix Packs)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green pepper (chopped or you can use chives)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 -2 habanero pepper (diced)
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper (diced)
- fresh ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- cayenne pepper
- 4 -5 eggs
- 1Follow Directions on the 2 Package of Corn bread mix to make yellow corn bread. Once the corn bread is done let cool and crumble corn bread into small pieces.
- 2Sauté’ vegetables in butter.
- 3Add crumbled cornbread and add broth and stir until smooth and thin.
- 4Add sage and cream of chicken soup. Stir and mix well.
- 5Add diced Habanera Pepper, diced Jalapeño Pepper, Fresh Ground Black Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper, and Cayenne Pepper to taste. (I like a lot but I’m a Texan).
- 6Bake on 350 until slightly thick and brown. (I like to stir mine every 15 min and taste to see if I nee to spice it up).
- 7Once brown take out of oven and allow to cool.
- 8Place 4 to 5 beat eggs, flour and bread crumbs in 3 separate bowls.
- 9Once the dressing is cool, scope up some dressing with a spoon and form a ball.
- 10Dip the ball in the flour, then the beat egg, then the bread crumbs.
- 11Deep fry on 350 degrees for 2 to 3 minutes. (Not too long, remember the inside is already cooked. You just want a nice hard crunchy exterior).
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Texas Armadillo Balls
Serving Size: 1 (1661 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 48.5
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 37.0 mg
- Sodium 222.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: