Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The dip has a fragrant creamy coconut flavor that is nicely spicy, with hints of lemongrass. Serve this with wedges of lime for the best effect.
For the Crab Bites
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only,flattened with cleaver and finely chopped
- 3 fresh red chilies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- vegetable oil
For the Curry Dip
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- Mix crab meat with lemongrass, chilies, cilantro, and egg yolk, mixing well.
- Mix the half and half with cornstarch and heat, stirring, until thickened, and mix into crab meat mixture.
- Shape the crab into about 20 meatballs, squeezing to get out excess liquid and retain the best shape; place on plate and refrigerate 1/2 hour to firm up (you can do this up to 12 hours in advance).
- To make the dip, heat the sesame oil in a saucepan, add the green onion, then the curry paste; stir fry for a minute or so before adding the coconut milk.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until it reduces about 1/2 and gets fairly thick.
- Stir in the soy sauce, then set aside to cool.
- Heat deep-fryer to 350 degrees and cook crab bites in batches, about 3-4 minutes or until nicely browned, then drain on paper toweling.
- Serve warm with the curry dip.
- The crab bites can be made in advance, and reheated in the oven at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.