Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my grandma's german recipes. Our whole family called them "Those Deep Fried Things", in spite of my grandmother's best efforts to rename them to something like "meat pies", or whatever.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 block lard
- pastry dough, per dough recipe
- Make dough per recipe- without baking powder.
- Mix beef, salt, pepper, onion and water in a bowl.
- Set aside.
- Roll dough out with rolling pin.
- Cut dough into rectangles, about 3" x 4".
- Into each dough rectangle, place a ball of meat mixture.
- Fold dough over and seal around edges with a plate to form a sealed"pocket".
- Heat lard over high-heat.
- Fry each"thing" in the lard until outside is starting to brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towel to absorb excess lard.
I have not tried these yet, but with a name like that I will for sure. Love it