Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Chef Mike Bomberg at Dominion Country Club prepared this for a cooking demonstration. The flavor is out of this world!
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled,deveined and butterflied
- 2 cups masa harina (for gluten free) or 2 cups flour, for dusting
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk (or soy milk for lactose free)
- 8 corn tortillas, use mixed colors if available
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 quarts peanut oil, for frying
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tomatoes, cut in half,squeeze out seeds
- 1 serrano chili, split in half and remove seeds
- 1 small onion, rough chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bunch green onion
- Clean the shrimp and set aside.
- Set up for breading.
- Add a little chile powder, cumin and garlic powder to the masa or flour.
- Prepare egg wash with eggs and milk.
- Tear tortillas into rough pieces- process in food processor till you have a coarsely ground meal- like raw oatmeal- combine with corn meal Coat shrimp thoroughly with masa or flour.
- Dip shrimp in eggwash making sure they get completely wet.
- Coat shrimp with tortilla-corn meal breading, pressing the breading into the shrimp to insure there are no bald spots.
- Deep fry shrimp at 375 degrees (be sure to use your fry thermometer and bring oil back up to 375 between batches before you put more shrimp back in- this keeps the shrimp cooking fast and not greasy) Remove shrimp and drain on rack, not paper towels and keep warm till ready to serve Serve with guacamole and Green Pumpkin Seed Salsa.
- Toss all ingredients with olive oil.
- Roast together on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes at 350.
- Put in blender with fresh cilantro, chicken broth, Kosher salt and Green tops from 1 bunch green onions.