1 hr 30 mins
Sue Masters's Note:
Chef Mike Bomberg at Dominion Country Club prepared this for a cooking demonstration. The flavor is out of this world!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled,deveined and butterflied
- 2 cups masa harina (for gluten free) or 2 cups flour, for dusting
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk (or soy milk for lactose free)
- 8 corn tortillas, use mixed colors if available
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 quarts peanut oil, for frying
- salt and pepper
- 1Clean the shrimp and set aside.
- 2Set up for breading.
- 3Add a little chile powder, cumin and garlic powder to the masa or flour.
- 4Prepare egg wash with eggs and milk.
- 5Tear tortillas into rough pieces- process in food processor till you have a coarsely ground meal- like raw oatmeal- combine with corn meal Coat shrimp thoroughly with masa or flour.
- 6Dip shrimp in eggwash making sure they get completely wet.
- 7Coat shrimp with tortilla-corn meal breading, pressing the breading into the shrimp to insure there are no bald spots.
- 8Deep fry shrimp at 375 degrees (be sure to use your fry thermometer and bring oil back up to 375 between batches before you put more shrimp back in- this keeps the shrimp cooking fast and not greasy) Remove shrimp and drain on rack, not paper towels and keep warm till ready to serve Serve with guacamole and Green Pumpkin Seed Salsa.
- 10Toss all ingredients with olive oil.
- 11Roast together on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes at 350.
- 12Put in blender with fresh cilantro, chicken broth, Kosher salt and Green tops from 1 bunch green onions.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortilla Crusted Shrimp w/Green Pumpkin Seed Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (701 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3085.1
- Calories from Fat 2756
- Total Fat 306.2 g
- Saturated Fat 52.5 g
- Cholesterol 289.2 mg
- Sodium 1451.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 36.1 g