Mme M's Note:
This fried dish is a flavorful way to make eggs. Apart from the first bite, squirt lemon juice into the brik before each mouthful. The yolks should be runny, and the whites of the eggs set. You can use brik sheets (round), large wonton skins (square), or phyllo sheets (rectangular). Whatever you are able to use, the desired result is to have the ingredients inside a triangular, or half-moon, or enveloped shaped thin pastry, and to deep fry it right away. Once you get the hang of making them, you can work quickly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Directions are given per brik.
- 2Place the phyllo sheet on a work surface. Phyllo is rectangular. Either cut it to make a square, or fold the phyllo so you work with a single layer sheet.
- 3Using only the top half of the phyllo sheet, spoon 1 tablespoonful of tuna onto the phyllo. Sprinkle 1/4 the amount of parmesan onto the tuna. (If using mashed potato, put 1/4 of the mashed potato onto the tuna and parmesan.) Dot 1 teaspoon of harissa around the mixture. Sprinkle on 1 tablespoon or less of parsley. Make sort of an open circle with the mixture.
- 4Now, crack open an egg, and drop it on this mixture in a way that the mixture won't let the egg white run out easily. The mixture should surround the egg.
- 5Fold the bottom half of the phyllo sheet over the top half. This will cover the whole mixture. Seal the edges with egg white as you make the fold. If you have excess pastry per brik, just fold the excess in towards the center of the brik; it will resemble an envelope.
- 6Slip this brik into hot oil. Fry 30 seconds on one side, or until the phyllo is a golden brown color. Turn it, and fry the other side, also 30 seconds, or until the color is golden brown.
- 7Continue with the other briks.
- 8Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze into every bite, salad and tomato.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tunisian Egg Briks
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1826.9
- Calories from Fat 1635
- Total Fat 181.7 g
- Saturated Fat 30.6 g
- Cholesterol 242.4 mg
- Sodium 735.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 38.9 g