For Hanukkah, it is traditional to eat oil-rich foods in honor of the miracle of the Temple lamp. This mashed potato-filled pastry is easy to put together using egg roll wrappers. Adapted from a recipe in Joyce Goldstein's cookbook, Saffron Shores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 large egg, separated
- 12 egg roll wraps (6-inch squares)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1Boil potatoes in salted water until they mash easily, about 15 minutes.
- 2Drain and mash with potato masher until smooth.
- 3In small frying pan over medium heat, stir onion and garlic in oil until onion is very limp, about 10 minutes.
- 4Cook slowly--reduce heat if it starts to brown.
- 5When onions are soft, stir in potatoes, parsley, cilantro, capers, salt and pepper.
- 6In a small bowl, beat egg yolk to blend; add to potato mixture and mix well.
- 7In another small bowl, beat egg white to blend.
- 8Cut egg egg roll wrapper into four squares (keep covered with plastic wrap until ready to use or it will dry out).
- 9Place about 1 1/2 teaspoons potato mixture in the center of each square.
- 10Brush edges lightly with egg white.
- 11Fold each square diagionally over filling to form a triangle; pinch edges to seal.
- 12Pour 2 inches of oil into a heavy 5-quart pan over medium heat.
- 13When oil reaches 375 degrees F, using a slotted spoon or a mesh basket and working in batches of 6 to 12 (cook only what will fit easily in one layer) lower pastries into oil.
- 14Fry until golden brown, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes total.
- 15Transfer to paper towel-lined baking sheets to a 200 degree F oven and keep warm up to 30 minutes.
- 16Allow oil to return to 375 degrees F before you put in next batch.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tunisian Potato Turnovers
Serving Size: 1 (21 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 35.9
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 5.1 mg
- Sodium 101.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 1.1 g