Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Absolutely divine, irresistible delicate thin rolls of phyllo pastry, crispy on the outside and oozing with melting cheese. Incredibly "more-ish" finger food.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the feta cheese and mix in the chopped parsley.
- Divide the cheese mixture into 24 equal portions.
- Lay out the phyllo sheets and cut them into a total of 24 triangles (the easiest way to lay them on top of other, cut from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, then from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock, then divide up each quarter into 4 triangles- but I'm sure experienced pizza makers have a much more scientific method!).
- To roll your "cigarettes", put a portion of cheese at the wide end of a triangle, then fold in the edges to seal the cheese in before rolling it all up; you can seal the very tip of your roll with a little water.
- When all the rolls have been assembled, deep fry them until they are golden and crispy.
- Serve freshly fried.
very good, I made to go with our salad for dinner. Next time I will make them to include on the brunch menu.
I tried this with 3 different feta cheeses to get it right. What I found to be the best tasting cheese (and the one that was easiest to roll without breaking the pastry) was a soft smooth danish that could be mashed into a smooth texture. Also don't overfry the pastries. Fry them so they are just crispy and slightly brown/pale. This lets the cheese stand out a bit more.