Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are famous sweet Filipino snacks sold in sidewalks. Very simple to make and a traditional comfort food for many households. Basics would just be the bananas, sugar and wrapper but adding the jack fruit makes all the difference and is preferred by most. Note: There are different types of spring roll wrappers. Get the non-translucent ones, if ever.
- place a sliced banana 1 1/2 inch from the bottom edge of a spring roll wrapper, sprinkle it with some sugar and cinnamon, and top it with a sliced jack fruit.
- seal the sides and roll the wrapper, sealing the top as well with water/starch mixture.
- In the meantime, heat oil in non-stick wok(so sugar doesn't stick) until it's sizzling hot with the leftover sugar and fry the wrapped bananas until it's golden brown, spooning (or use spatula) the sugar from the pan on the wrapper to give it a bit of caramelized coating.
- Drain on paper towels or sieve.
- Serve while still warm and the wrapper's crunchy.
Yummy recipe! I had to cut the plantains in half as they were too big otherwise to be in the wrappers. We didn't have any jackfruit. The sugar with the oil didn't work as it just burnt it, so I melted some butter with brown sugar in the microwave and drizzled on top. I talked to my Philipino friend and she said they always did these with bananas, so I will try it with bananas next time. The plantains I got were green so I waited until they were yellow with some dark spots, but I think I could have waited a little longer until they were darker. Thanks, Pneuma!
Was going to talk to my DIL about this recipe, but she's back in the Phillipines for a month visiting friends & relatives, so I did this pretty much blind! I did use bananas, & without access to jackfruit, I decided to add slices of mango to half of the rolls just to see how that would taste! Gotta admit that I liked the all-banana ones a little more, but those with the mango were well enough recieved, too! Thanks for sharing a recipe that's worth keeping around! [Tagged, made & reviewed for a teammate in our vegetarian group in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap]
We grew up eating turon and its really a great comfort food! Kick it up a notch by putting a slice of flan with the banana before wrapping and frying. Serve with vanilla ice cream! perrrfect!