1 hr 6 mins
The dough is very light and the filling delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
DOUGH FOR PUMPUSHKY
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup milk
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 1/2 cuup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest of
- powdered sugar
- 1PUMPUSHKY DOUGH Combine sugar and water, sprinkle with yeast, and let stand until soft.
- 2Heat milk to lukewarm, and add milk and 3/4 cup flour to yeast mixture.
- 3Beat well, cover, and allow to rise until light and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- 4Cream butter and sugar.
- 5Beat eggs and egg yolks and combine with sugar/butter mixture, beating thoroughly until eggs are pale white.
- 6Grate a lemon on a fine grater until all yellow is rubbed off and add lemon zest, vanilla, and yeast mixture to egg/butter mixture.
- 7Mix in 4 cups of flour.
- 8If dough seems too loose, add a little more flour: however, dough should be soft.
- 9Knead by hand for about 10 minutes.
- 10Cover with a damp towel, set in a warm place until double in bulk.
- 11Punch down, knead a few times, and allow to rise again until doubled.
- 12Divide dough into 4 parts.
- 13On a lightly floured surface, roll one part into a rectangle 1/4 inch thick.
- 14Turn over once or twice.
- 15Dust with flour sparingly.
- 16Place 1 teaspoon of rose preserve at evenly spaced intervals on the dough, or with a 2 1/2 inch cutter gently form impressions and place filling in each.
- 17Roll out another portion of the dough to the same thickness and gently cover the first, overlapping a little.
- 18(Filling will show through).
- 19Cut circles with cutter.
- 20Place them on a lightly floured cookie sheet and allow to rise until double in size.
- 21Repeat until all the dough is used, rolling out scraps last.
- 22Heat oil or shortening to 375 degrees F.
- 23in a deep fryer or wide skillet.
- 24Test temperature by frying a piece of bread; it should bubble and turn golden quickly.
- 25Fat should not be smoking.
- 26Fry 5 to 6 pampushky at a time.
- 27Do not crowd, since this lowers the temperature and doughnuts absorb too much grease.
- 28When one side is golden, flip with a spoon to fry other side.
- 29Dough will puff up in the frying.
- 30Drain on paper towels.
- 31When slightly cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- 32ROSE PRESERVE: (Rozha z tsukrom) Pick over petals, removing any debris, leaves, stamen, or insects.
- 33Coarsely chop 1 cup of petals in processor, add 1 cup of sugar, half the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon rum, and another cup of sugar.
- 34Mix for a minute, scraping sides.
- 35Repeat with the rest of the petals.
- 36Pack into small jars (about 1 cup) rapping lightly to release air bubbles.
- 37Cover and keep in a cool place.
- 38Last up to a year.
- 39It is used sparingly, so small jars are practical.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ukrainian Pumpushky With Filling Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1614.4
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 253.7 mg
- Sodium 651.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 356.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 232.1 g
- Protein 24.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of