Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 mins
The dough is very light and the filling delicious.
Make and share this Ukrainian Pumpushky With Filling Doughnuts recipe from Food.com.
DOUGH FOR PUMPUSHKY
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cuup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest of
- powdered sugar
- 2 cups rose petals (this is delicious, use wild roses if you have)
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons rum
- PUMPUSHKY DOUGH Combine sugar and water, sprinkle with yeast, and let stand until soft.
- Heat milk to lukewarm, and add milk and 3/4 cup flour to yeast mixture.
- Beat well, cover, and allow to rise until light and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat eggs and egg yolks and combine with sugar/butter mixture, beating thoroughly until eggs are pale white.
- Grate a lemon on a fine grater until all yellow is rubbed off and add lemon zest, vanilla, and yeast mixture to egg/butter mixture.
- Mix in 4 cups of flour.
- If dough seems too loose, add a little more flour: however, dough should be soft.
- Knead by hand for about 10 minutes.
- Cover with a damp towel, set in a warm place until double in bulk.
- Punch down, knead a few times, and allow to rise again until doubled.
- Divide dough into 4 parts.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one part into a rectangle 1/4 inch thick.
- Turn over once or twice.
- Dust with flour sparingly.
- Place 1 teaspoon of rose preserve at evenly spaced intervals on the dough, or with a 2 1/2 inch cutter gently form impressions and place filling in each.
- Roll out another portion of the dough to the same thickness and gently cover the first, overlapping a little.
- (Filling will show through).
- Cut circles with cutter.
- Place them on a lightly floured cookie sheet and allow to rise until double in size.
- Repeat until all the dough is used, rolling out scraps last.
- Heat oil or shortening to 375 degrees F.
- in a deep fryer or wide skillet.
- Test temperature by frying a piece of bread; it should bubble and turn golden quickly.
- Fat should not be smoking.
- Fry 5 to 6 pampushky at a time.
- Do not crowd, since this lowers the temperature and doughnuts absorb too much grease.
- When one side is golden, flip with a spoon to fry other side.
- Dough will puff up in the frying.
- Drain on paper towels.
- When slightly cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- ROSE PRESERVE: (Rozha z tsukrom) Pick over petals, removing any debris, leaves, stamen, or insects.
- Coarsely chop 1 cup of petals in processor, add 1 cup of sugar, half the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon rum, and another cup of sugar.
- Mix for a minute, scraping sides.
- Repeat with the rest of the petals.
- Pack into small jars (about 1 cup) rapping lightly to release air bubbles.
- Cover and keep in a cool place.
- Last up to a year.
- It is used sparingly, so small jars are practical.