An excellent snack or appetizer at any time or at a party. I have been making this recipe for over 30 years. Enjoyed by all that love zucchini.
- 1 medium zucchini, - 8 inches long
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons whole milk, homogenized
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3⁄4 cup cracker crumb (saltines)
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil (for deep frying) or 2 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 (2 ounce) package bearnaise sauce mix
- Wash and trim zucchini, (DO NOT PEEL).
- Cut zucchini into about 2 1/2" long by 1/2" thick strips.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat eggs and milk until fluffy.
- In a plastic bag, add flour, seasoning salt and shake well.
- In a separate plastic bag, add finely crushed saltine crackers.
- Dip zucchini strips in egg mixture.
- Drop into flour mixture and shake well to coat.
- Dip again into egg mixture.
- Drop into crushed crackers and shake well to coat.
- Heat olive oil to 325 F to 350 F in a medium-size frying pan or use a deep fryer.
- Drop coated zucchini (a few at a time) in the hot oil and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes, turning once, (DO NOT OVERCOOK).
- Zucchini should be crunchy.
- Serve immediately with Bearnaise Sauce as a dip.
- SAUCE FOR DIPPING: Prepare contents of Bearnaise sauce according to package directions or make your own.
- NOTE: Instead of using plastic bags, place the flour mixture in a mixing bowl, and the crumbs in a separate bowl. This will not be quite as messy.
- Also, Panko crumbs would be excellent or cornflake crumbs.
- See recipe #382043.