Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated beet sugar (you can use unrefined brown, too)
- 3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Substitute, mixed with 4 tbsp water (equivalent of 2 eggs)
- 4 tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegan margarine or 4 tablespoons light vegetable oil
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup soymilk, mixed with
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Beat the egg replacer and sugar together until creamy in consistency.
- Melt the margarine and chocolate together in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Beat into the sugar mixture until well combined.
- Combine the soy milk, vinegar and vanilla.
- Stir this into the sugar/chocolate mixture.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir this into the liquid mixture until it forms a dough.
- Chill this for about 1/2 hour to make it easier to handle.
- Roll 1/2 the dough out onto a lightly floured board to a 1/2" thickness.
- Cut out the doughnuts with a 3" diameter doughnut cutter (or regular, round cookie cutter).
- Let them rest for about 10 minutes before frying.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Deep fry in hot oil for about 90 seconds each, turning every 15 seconds.
- Remove from the hot oil and allow them to drain on paper towels.
- Cool, and ice, glaze or sprinkle with powdered sugar as per your desires.
it's nice to see that a recipe i created and posted over two years ago at vegweb.com is being shared and enjoyed all over by everyone. xxoxo christa
All I can say is - YOWZA!!!
I was really excited about making vegan doughnuts -- chocolate to boot! Unfortunately, even though I followed the recipe exactly, and kept my oil at 375, these were the worst culinary disaster of my life. I got greasy globs with uncooked centers. So bad I threw away more than half the dough. Not sure what went wrong, but I'm going to look for a different recipe. Glad this works better for others, but it's not for me.