Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
posted in response to a request. filling is almost the same as the one for my vegetarian chile rellenos, though a bit milder because the spices don't have to compete with the biting heat of the serrano or anaheim chiles.
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can sweet potatoes, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 mild jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground cinnamon (pinch)
- 24 small white corn tortillas (approximately 6 to 7 inches across)
- Combine refried beans, mashed sweet potatoes, shredded cheese, minced onion, minced chiles and spices and mix well.
- Heat tortillas one at a time very briefly (just a few seconds or so) in frying pan with no oil to soften and then move to a basket or tortilla keeper lined with a damp towel to keep soft until you are ready to use.
- Place a large Tablespoon or so (when rolled up, each one is about 1 inch wide) of mixture in center of each small tortilla (Filling should not come too close to the ends, or it will fall out).
- Roll up tortilla around bean/sweet potato mixture and secure with a wooden toothpick.
- Fry in canola oil one or two at a time for 3 to 5 minutes each until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on paper toweling for a few moments before serving.
- Serve with your favorite salsa and sour cream or guacamole.
- These can be frozen and reheated on a baking sheet in 350 degree fahrenheit oven for 10-15 minutes.