This is from my favorite vegetarian cookbook, "Vegetarian Planet" by Didi Emmons. This tempura is light, flavorful, and I think, perfect. The original recipe is used with asparagus ... but this makes kickin' onion rings as well!
- Combine flour, cornstarch, salt, sugar, baking powder, ginger and wasabi powder.
- Add water and beer to the flour mixture; whisk slowly until smooth.
- In a saucepan or skillet at least 8 inches in diameter, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Test oil by dropping in 1/2 teaspoon of batter.
- If it bubbles and fizzes right away, oil is hot enough.
- Dip an asparagus spear into the batter, then carefully into the hot oil.
- Add 7 more, and fry them all 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove them to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat with remaining 8 asparagus spears.
- Serve immediately.