Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Alton Brown recipe. Sounds yummy!
Make and share this Wet Fried Calamari recipe from Food.com.
- Place the peanut oil in a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven and place over medium-high heat. Heat oil until it reaches 375 degrees F.
- Rinse the squid thoroughly and pat dry. Cut the tentacles in half lengthwise and the tubes into 1/2-inch rings. Set aside.
- Place the egg, water and flour into a bowl and whisk thoroughly to combine.
- In small handfuls, dip the squid in the batter and shake off the excess.
- In batches, gently lower the squid into the hot oil. Cook for 1 minute. The squid will not be browned, but lightly golden in color.
- Remove the squid and transfer to a cooling rack turned upside down set over a newspaper-lined sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Repeat until all of the squid is cooked.
- Make sure to check the temperature of the oil before each batch to ensure it is 375 degrees F.
- Serve immediately.
It kills met ot say this bc I am a HUGE "AB" fan. The cooking temp and time were perfection. The batter is really bland though. It just needs bit more seasoning though it it will be 5 stars.