Japanese Delight's Note:
Alton Brown recipe. Sounds yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the peanut oil in a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven and place over medium-high heat. Heat oil until it reaches 375 degrees F.
- 2Rinse the squid thoroughly and pat dry. Cut the tentacles in half lengthwise and the tubes into 1/2-inch rings. Set aside.
- 3Place the egg, water and flour into a bowl and whisk thoroughly to combine.
- 4In small handfuls, dip the squid in the batter and shake off the excess.
- 5In batches, gently lower the squid into the hot oil. Cook for 1 minute. The squid will not be browned, but lightly golden in color.
- 6Remove the squid and transfer to a cooling rack turned upside down set over a newspaper-lined sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- 7Repeat until all of the squid is cooked.
- 8Make sure to check the temperature of the oil before each batch to ensure it is 375 degrees F.
- 9Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Squid Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wet Fried Calamari
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4055.3
- Calories from Fat 3915
- Total Fat 435.1 g
- Saturated Fat 73.8 g
- Cholesterol 317.1 mg
- Sodium 69.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 22.4 g