A classic Asian appetizer. Can even be made ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 large raw shrimp (with tails on or off)
- 15 wonton wrappers
- 1 -2 cup oil, for high-heat frying
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced fine (important to mince finely)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce or 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 minced red chili or 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed chili or 1 -2 teaspoon chili sauce
- Thai sweet chili sauce (Mae Ploy)
- 1Place shrimp in a bowl and add the garlic, coriander, fish or soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, and chili.
- 2Toss well and set aside to marinate 10 minutes (or up to 30). Meanwhile, prepare your pan or wok for frying. A wok requires oil. Pour oil about 1 inch deep.
- 3Toss the shrimp once again before wrapping. To wrap, lay out the first wonton wrapper on the diagonal (point facing towards you). Brush the entire surface with beaten egg, then position the shrimp horizontally across the center (with its tail sticking out past the left corner). Fold the right corner over the bottom of the shrimp, then bring up the bottom and tuck over. Roll quite tightly to finish and press firmly to seal.
- 4Place wrapped shrimp on a plate lightly dusted with cornstartch (to keep wrappers from sticking).
- 5Heat oil over medium-high heat. To test if oil is hot enough, dip one of the wrapped shrimp in – if it starts to sizzle and cook, the oil is ready. Fry the wrapped shrimp about 1 minute per side or until light golden brown and crunchy. Once your first batch is frying, reduce heat to medium. Drain on paper towels.
- 6Serve immediately either as or with Thai sweet chili sauce for dipping. This appetizer can be kept in a warm oven (uncovered) for up to 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wonton Wrapped Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 621.2
- Calories from Fat 507
- Total Fat 56.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 82.2 mg
- Sodium 697.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: